The postnatal period is one of great change and adjustment.
During this time a woman is vulnerable to stress and strain on many different levels, so postnatal yoga is gentle and therapeutic.
The emphasis is upon nurturing and support: at a physical level the practices are designed to promote ease and comfort: stabilising the pelvis, toning the abdominal region, and supporting the lower back.
There are also practices to lift the spirits and re-energise, alternating with periods of recuperative rest.
At this stage the moms are feeling a little more energised than in the immediate postnatal period, so their practices involve deeper stretching and more vigorous, revitalising yoga postures and breathing. The babies enjoy some of the same rhymes and rhythmic movements as the littler babies, but also are challenged with other practices to assist in the development of crawling prowess.
Yoga for two practices develop a shared sense of fun, whilst improving balance and co-ordination. Mom’s relaxation times are integrated with a special play time for curious babes, and we use humming, singing and chanting to help everyone enjoy a quiet time at the end of the class.
These classes are a relaxing weekly outing for moms with a busy schedule, and are also a helpful baby oriented event in the weekly pattern of moms who have returned to work.
Some info on Yoga Mama Postnatal Yoga Programme:
Classes will be held at the very appropriate Mother Instinct venue on Republic Road, nearer Northcliff; this is an amazing mommy/baby place and it’s absolutely perfect for moms and babes. They boast a beautiful shop and offer ante-natal classes, breastfeeding support, family photography, and all sorts of professional advice… and so much more! Please find herewith the link for directions and further details: www.motherinstinct.co.za).
- Classes they will follow the format of a 4 week programme.
- The sessions will run on a Thursday from 10:30 – 12:30 ; this will allow time for feeding, nappy changing and nibbling – snacks will be provided
- There will be a maximum of 8 moms and babes permitted on the program
- Babe should be at least 6 weeks and up to 8 months; in one session activities may vary for new-born and sitting babies
- Your investment in the programme will be R500; to confirm your place, kindly complete the questionnaire and submit.